Roo Vindaloo recipe
This dish was originally used in a place called Goa, in India. It is a hot dish, and can be made more hot or mild depending on the amount of chilli powder used.
- 60ml vinegar
- 500g packet of diced Kangaroo (or any leg cut)
- 1 large Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon Black Mustard Seeds
- 6 Garlic Cloves (peeled and crushed)
- 15gm fresh Ginger
- 4 whole Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 6-8 black Peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 6-8 Curry leaves (dried or fresh)
- 450gm chopped tinned Tomatoes (without juice)
- half teaspoon Tumeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 sprigs Coriander
- 1-2 teaspoon Chilli powder
all ingredients in a blender or in a mortar and pestle (excluding
tomatoes, onions and use only half the amount of vinegar at this stage)
until it forms a thick paste. In a large bowl mix roo with the paste,
cover and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
oil in a pan, fry onions for 2-3 minutes, add meat and fry until
browned, then followed by adding tomatoes, stirring until tomatoes are
completely broken up. Keep frying on low heat until the oil separates
from meat (oil will come to the top). Add remaining vinegar, cover and
simmer for 40-50 minutes, until meat is tender.
Water may be added if necessary, although sauce should be fairly thick.
Serve with rice and garnish with coriander.
Your feedback is important.
If you like our kangaroo meat products, have a kangaroo recipe you would like to share or feel we can improve in any way. Please let us know